October 6, 2010

My secret to sleep

No, I can't tell you how you can get your baby to sleep through the night. But I might be able to help you, mommy, to get some sleep. I was such a worrier about SIDS. It is an unexplainable thing that happens to infants and usually while they are sleeping. So then how in the world was I supposed to get any sleep!!
I was not going to be a mom who let their child sleep in the bed with them. That starts a bad habit and I wanted to enjoy my bed with my husband. We have to have time too, and sometimes it was the only time we had even if we were sleeping. Lillian had some congestion at around 3 weeks old and the pediatrician instructed us to keep a humidifier on her at night. We borrowed a cradle for the bedroom, but with the humidifier and the bouncer plus the cradle it was a little cramped. So I decided to let Lillian sleep in her own room at 3 weeks. I know you think I am crazy. I thought the same thing. But for her to fully get the benefit of the humidifier, that is what I had to do. I had two monitoring systems that we used and still use.

Are you ready for the secret?? 

AC201 – Movement and sound monitor




This wonderful contraption is called the Angelcare Monitor!
You simply place it UNDER the mattress and it detects your baby's movements.
 I know right! AH- MAZING!
So that means it detects your baby's respirations because when you breath, you move.I was fortunate enough to get this as a gift and I highly recommend this for new moms.If there is no movement for 15 seconds it will beep. If there is no movement for 20 seconds it will alarm until you turn it off. It also detects sound. I am so thankful for this! 
This is a little pricey, but it is sooooooooooooo worth it. It has adjustable sensitivity, because every mattress is different and every baby is different. It is not hard to install. They now have even better models that even detect the temperature of the baby's room. Your baby will sleep a lot better if they are comfortable.! 
Here is a new and improved model.

AC401 – Movement and sound monitor Deluxe Plus



The website again is: www.angelcare - monitor.com

I also was given a video monitor to borrow. It has been awesome. They are a little pricey as well but keeping your sanity is worth it. You don't have to buy a fancy, flat screen video monitor. Just make sure that it is a day and NIGHT monitor. 


This one is like the one we use. 
It is from Target.com

Summer Infant Day & Night Baby Video Monitor



I am proud to say that I started putting Lillian in her crib at night at 3 weeks old and she has been there ever since. If it wasn't for these two monitors, I don't think I would have been able to do it that early. I was so worried about SIDS and sleep apnea, that these calmed those fears and allowed me to sleep. 
Now I will say that Lee and I have been blessed with a good sleeper. She started sleeping 8 to 12 hours a night at 3 weeks old, but I wouldn't have been able to sleep if it weren't for the monitors. 

So I think this has become my favorite thing since Lillian was born! 

I am not telling you that you have to buy these. I am just letting you know what worked for me. Maybe I am a little to paranoid. I just like to call it cautious. If you, new mommy, think you don't need these then by all means don't. I will have to congratulate you on your peace of mind! But for me, this is what worked.

1 comment:

  1. Sleeping through the night at 3 weeks old? NICE! Ethan didn't until he was about 2 months old. Although, he started doing it basically as soon as we moved him from our room to his own! lol

    ReplyDelete