May 30, 2013

Discipline



What a difficult subject for a lot of people.

Including myself.....

There are so many books about it. So many people have advice about it.
And it seems like EVERYONE thinks you are doing it WRONG!! Or not Enough! 

Well this Mommy has had enough.   Really had enough.

Discipline is hard
Makes you want to cry
What if I am doing this all wrong
What if I am shaping Lillian in the wrong direction
What if
What if

Then I read this.......


"It’s not a matter of lack of discipline. My children do get disciplined. The fact is, I never take sin, immaturity, or childish behavior into consideration. Ever. I [foolishly] expect my children should sit down quietly and listen intently to what I have to say. I have no idea where I learned this mentality. Parenting books, maybe? Believing that doing all the right things will produce all the right children?

Yea…not so much. Why? Because children are not perfect anymore then we are perfect. They suffer temptations and fleshly desires the same as we do. Even when sin isn’t present, lack of maturity reigns. Which is no fault of theirs. Just something that needs to learn to be controlled and time to get there. They will never be perfect and I cannot ever expect that they will be at any given moment."


That is an excerpt from a blog that I enjoy reading. To read the whole post click HERE. Or you can go to her blog at joyfulmothering.net

I had an "Ahah" moment. Everyone, myself included, thinks that children should just obey you when you discipline them. Like there is some magical check list and if you go through it they will obey perfectly. NOT THE CASE! I had this unrealistic expectation that I was trying to live up too and I was and am just failing miserably. No one knows what Motherhood is supposed to look like.

What works for one child doesn't always work for another. 

I am disciplining Lillian to the best of my ability and I am TIRED of people telling me that I am coming up short because she isn't doing something right. I AM a GOOD Mother and frankly if someone tells me that I am not disciplining Lillian, again.... I will not keep quiet. 


This journey of discipline is so hard and Lee and I are trying new things all the time. We are finding what works best with Lillian and most importantly will ONLY direct, encourage, and uplift her. 

















1 comment:

  1. Miranda, it seems you are doing a superb job with Lillian. She appears happy and is a beautiful child. Every child is different; therefore, discipline varies with each child. What works for one does not work for all!

    ReplyDelete